Tuesday, May 6, 2008

New York



We are back! We are educated on broadways, really expensive sandwiches, local music, cheap pizza, tall buildings, shopping, and everything else in NYC! The details are below...and yes, it is FOREVER LONG....

Monday: 
Well, we had a red eye flight, therefore we were pretty much out of commission until about Noon. We did, however, manage to pay $50 for about 6 oz. of OJ, 4 eggs, hashbrowns and some burnt toast at a restaurant in our hotel. So we did accomplish something that morning! (If blowing money on crappy food is an accomplishment!) Following our 4 hour nap session, we headed out to the city. It was DOWNPOURING, but this didn't stop us! We went on a shop-a-thon, or more like a "window shop-a-thon". There are some amazing stores there...just a bit pricy for us college kids! Monday night, we went to "Cafe Wha?"

Basically, it was amazing. The music was absolutely outstanding. There was one man who played the sax and the flute like nothing I have ever heard, and another who used a sponge, drum, whistling, and various other instruments. Our food was great, this is a MUST-DO for anyone who goes to new york. You can google Cafe Wha? to check it out!

Tuesday:
I woke up Tuesday SOOO dang excited...today was the day for WICKED. We shopped, and shopped some more prior to the show. We also went to Macy's, now this was just ANY Macy's. It was packed with 9 floors in two different buildings(YES, 18 floors total), and 9 restaurants! It was insane. We really enjoyed going to all of the different shops and getting help from the extremely rude people. I have heard that peeps in new york are rude, but I didn't really believe it. Well, BELIEVE IT!
The worst meal that we had when were were there was at Roxy Delicatessan...now, it is probably just because we haven't even eaten at a 'delicatessan'...

But, honestly, who can eat this?! The bread was HORRIBLE, burnt, and had not mayonaaise. The meat wasn't very good, and we were still hungry afterwords. To top it off...the sandwich cost $24, and because we were SHARING we had to pay $27...is that not CRAZY?! Ha...something to remember I guess!
Then came....WICKED. All I can say is, I wanted  to see it again the moment it was over. This show is outstanding, it was both my and Cody's #1 event of our entire trip.

Wednesday:
We went to the Lion King, the costumes were out of this world! It is amazing how talented people are in so many different ways. This play was 100% different than Wicked, but we still really enjoyed it.
We also went to a YANKEES game!


Our seats were WAY better than we thought they would be, I ate a BIG FAT CALORIC hot dog, and we had a blast!

Thursday:
Site-seeing! We saw the Empire State Building, Ground Zero, the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island (we think!) Wall Street....basically everything! Obviously, we didn't actually GO to the Statue of Liberty. It was honestly like a MILE long line...can you imagine how long that would take?! But, you can see it in the background...kind of!

Ground Zero was pretty much just a big construction site. We are glad that we saw it however, it is amazing the damage only a few people can do. It is also amazing how we can come back from something like this and begin to build something even better. As Cody said, the best way to describe the feeling there was "eerie".

Overall, we had a wonderful experience. We saw everything that we wanted to see and probably won't have to go back to see those RUDE people for a long time!


8 comments:

Lauren said...

It looks like you had a blast! NYC is a lot of fun. I'm so jealous that you got to see Wicked! :)

jenniferhoiyin said...

How fun! I was wondering where you were the past couple weeks... Anyway, it looks like amidst the rude up town ppl you had a blast. And uh, holy cow that's a HUGE sandwich! That's one of my favorite things about traveling, the food; good and bad! The bad food helps you appreciate the good food that much more. :)
It's getting warmer, we'll have to have a bbq soon! Glad you're back safely!

chelsea mckell said...

awwww... so fun! Glad you guys are livin' it up before... well YOU know... ;)

Ally said...

Wow, looks like you had a blast. Since I don't see you anymore I was exited to read about it on your blog. I believe you on the people. wow, I had so many people swear at me when I was there. I was younger and probably cut them off of something.

Ashley Wray said...

So jealous, but glad you guys had a fun time! I love Cody's facial expression over that sandwich, hilarious! Are you back in good ol' Montana where people and nice and friendly? I hope so! Fun to hear about your trip?

ensadler said...

HA! That sandwich is to die for. Great picture of Cody it explains the WHAT THE is this!? I have never seen such a thing! Glad you guys had fun. I never knew the people were so rude. Guess I do now. Anyway, looks like you had some memorable times!

Em and Bart said...

Chels that looks like SUCH a blast, I particuarly enjoy the picture where the person behind you is stuffing a fry in their face! That's America for you! Man, the play's had to be so great. This inspired me....Bart and I REALLY need to go on a trip! Maybe not one with such expensive food though!

SaritaMx said...

Haha! You made it!!!! I'm so glad. And sounds like you had a blast!!!! Also, what is the other Chelsea implying in her post? Is there something I should know?!? ;) Thanks for all your awesome comments. Sorry I'm not so good at it. I miss you! (But not the workplace... you know!) haha.